A historic residence in the heart of Pas-de-Calais

Nestled in the Artois hills, Ranchicourt's Castle stands proudly in the village of Rebreuve-Ranchicourt, where history and nature harmoniously intertwine. On the edge of a land steeped in history, the castle bears living witness to the eras it has passed through, from the first foundations laid in the 15th century by Pierre de Ranchicourt, Bishop of Arras, to the echo of the wars that have shaped its destiny.

Rebreuve-Ranchicourt is a small village located near the ancient Roman road that led from Arras to Thérouanne, known today as the Chaussée Brunehaut. Originally, the village was divided into 2 distinct lands, that of Ranchicourt, witness to the illustrious family of the same name, and that of Rebreuve, occupied for 7 centuries by a priory. The Rebreuve-Ranchicourt coat of arms sums up the village's history. The coat of arms is divided into 2 parts, with the left side showing the arms of Rebreuve and the right side showing the arms of Ranchicourt.

From manor house to stately home

What started out as a "grand manoir" in the 15th century has undergone a metamorphosis over the centuries. Architectural influences followed one another, most notably when, in the 16th century, the estate became part of the prestigious de Bournonville family through marriage. In 1778, the château as we know it today began to take shape under the direction of stonemason Jean-Baptiste Jacquemont de Neuville Saint-Vaast, for Antoine Damiens de Ranchicourt.

The Dovecote, the Chapel and the Outbuildings

The estate is characterized by a harmonious ensemble of 18th-century outbuildings, including an exceptional octagonal dovecote, and a chapel consecrated in 1843, housing the de Ranchicourt family gravestones and decorative elements ranging from neo-Gothic to Renaissance influences.

At the south end of the courtyard, the square dovecote features a covered passageway; built of white ashlar on a sandstone base, it is covered by a bulbous roof with a spilt eave, and crowned by a wolf's head weather vane.

A Castle reinvented in the 19th century

Under the impetus of Louis Philibert Oscar Comte de Ranchicourt, the château was remodeled and enlarged by architect Alexandre Grigny in 1843, who added a central forebuilding and two side pavilions, giving the château its current appearance.

The Castle's last owner was Simone Bellaigue de Ranchicourt, who died in 1993. Her descendants lived at the château until 2003, when it was sold.

Historic Park and Gardens

The castle's surroundings are highlighted by a central avenue lined with chestnut and lime trees, leading to an imposing main courtyard. The courtyard opens onto a 20-hectare park that combines the order and beauty of a formal garden. A quadruple row of trees (chestnut and lime) occupies the long terreplein, framed by wolf jumps, which precedes a courtyard of honor enclosed on either side by high stone walls.

A witness to history

During the First World War, the castle became the headquarters of the British First Army General Staff. It was a place of command, but also of reverence and military honor.

Château de Ranchicourt

1 Rue du Château

62150 Rebreuve-Ranchicourt

+33 (0)7 81 32 15 43


Mentions légales

Subscribe to Ranchicourt's Newsletter

Développé par Arthur Lasry / Contact : webdev.arthurlasry@gmail.com